#makingmakeup post 9

#makingmakeup post 9

By: Anika Gupta

This is the second post about our process of actually making the makeup. While the other post was only about the ingredients and steps we needed to take before mixing our ingredients, this post also is about the process of concluding and evaluating our projects

After we mixed all the components of our recipe together: the melted beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil, and the beetroot powder, we make sure the lipstick in the bowl was mixed evenly and had no chunky parts. Additionally, the compound started to cool very quickly; when I touched the compound, it dried on my fingertip. So, we had to figure out away to scoop the lipstick into our pallets as quickly as possible. Luckily, we were able to use the measuring cups and the fork to scoop it into our pallets. After we had filled two of the holes in our pallet, we realized our compound was very light, so we added more beetroot powder for a darker shade. We filled a couple more holes, and then we added more beetroot powder for the rest of the pallet. When filling our pallet, we weren’t able to fill the holes perfectly and there was alot of overflow, so after we finished scooping the lipstick into the pallet, we cleaned the top, bottom, and sides of our pallet. Then, we cleaned up our workspace and returned the materials to their owners. We did have some lipstick left over, so we have to figure out a plan of what to do with it. We will not be making more lipstick- we believe the lipstick we made today is satisfactory, and we also don’t have space for any more lipstick. However, we want to continue to use all the materials we have in Engineering so we are going to brainstorm new project ideas.

This process relates to engineering because we just completed the making and testing a prototype step of the Engineering Design Process, and we have also communicated our findings and concluded our project for the most part.